Information Access and Privacy (FOIPOP)
The Information Management Division provides public access to Department of Education and Early Childhood Development records and information, and protects the privacy of individuals with respect to personal information about themselves held by the Department, in compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPOP Act) and other legislation.
The Act strives for balance between an individual’s right to know and an individual’s right to privacy.
Specific and limited exemptions from disclosure are provided for in the Act to protect against the unreasonable invasion of personal privacy; to prevent unfair advantages occurring in commercial or government transactions; to protect law enforcement activities; and to safeguard the business conducted by government.
If You Need:
- A copy your high school student transcript: send the request to the last school you attended.
- Additional information is available on the Transcripts of Marks / Diplomas page.
- Copies of records held by Nova Scotia Regional Centres for Education: direct these requests to the Information Access and Privacy Administrator for the regional centre.
Access to Information Resources
- Information Access and Privacy (FOIPOP), Nova Scotia Department of Internal Services - This site provides information on how to submit an application, time lines, fees, etc.
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Regulations
- Personal Information International Disclosure Protection Act
- Personal Information International Disclosure Protection Act Regulations
- Routine Access Policy - The Routine Access Policy is designed to provide members of the public with the opportunity to obtain certain categories of records without having to submit a Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act application.
- Student Records Policy - The Student Records Policy provides clear direction to Regional Centres for Education, public schools, principals, and school educational/administrative staff regarding their roles for the completion, access, correction or removal of information, security, maintenance, storage, transfer, retention, and destruction of student records.
For more information, contact:
Information Access and Privacy Manager
Information Management Division
Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
P.O. Box 578
2021 Brunswick Street
Halifax, NS B3J 2S9