Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the Senior High program?
Each program is made up of two separate, nightly sessions, as noted above. Each session is about 2 hours long. A mid-session break is provided.
How long is the Junior High program?
Each program is made up of one nightly session, as noted above. The session is about 2 hours long. A mid-session break is provided.
Do I bring my child(ren) with me?
No. The Parents as Career Coaches Program is for parents/guardians only.
Is there a cost?
No. The Parents as Career Coaches Program is provided free of charge to parents/guardians.
Do I need to bring anything with me?
No. A pen or pencil will do the trick.
What will I learn in the Junior High School session?
- The session will help you begin to explore your child's interests, skills & personal qualities, which will help them eventually make career decisions.
- It also provides you and your child with the tools and resources to begin to research numerous career options.
- The important knowledge and information you gain from the program, will make it easier to help your child to select appropriate courses at the High School level.
What will I learn in the individual High School sessions?
- Session 1: Uncovering Your Kid’s Gifts: Helps parents develop techniques and understand the critical role they play in assisting their child to realize their interests and unique talents. The session also explores what employers consider to be critical skills, qualities and attitudes required in today’s and tomorrow’s labour market.
- Session 2: Becoming your Kid’s Talent Scout: Shows parents how to research and explore career options that suit their child’s interests and skills. It introduces parents to useful print and website career resources, and shows them how labour market information, networking, information interviews and volunteering gives their children the reliable information and experiences they need to make informed career decisions.