Core Principles of the Department
Every child and student is confident and proud, maximizing their potential and contributing to a thriving society.
In addition to the public service values of respect, integrity, diversity, accountability, and all for the public good, the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development values:
The Department will lead the transformation of the early years and public education system.
We will do this by designing an innovative curriculum, facilitating excellence in teaching and learning, ensuring equity throughout the system, and fostering collaborative partnerships.
This will provide children, students, and families with a strong foundation for success.
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development has a broad mandate that includes responsibility for early childhood development and the education of children and youth through the public school system.
The department’s mandate is carried out through the provision of
- child, youth, and family-centered programs and services
- early learning and care programs for children from birth to school entry
- high quality educational programs and student services in both of Canada’s official languages
- strong assessment and evaluation services
- a focus on creating a more culturally-responsive education system to support inclusive student learning
- a progressive and responsive policy environment
- effective financial management, facilities planning, and comptrollership
- effective opportunities for ongoing, high-quality professional learning for teachers and principals