Common Questions/Answers

What is a Correspondence Study course?

Correspondence Study Program courses follow the same NS curriculum as public schools.

  • The courses are developed by NS teachers who understand the special needs and circumstances of students who study at home.
  • The course is not taught; students need to be focused and work on their courses regularly.
  • Assignments and assessments will be marked by certified teachers who are expected to give feedback and grades on the work submitted but are not required to act as a teacher or tutor.

Who can enrol?

Anyone from anywhere in the world can enroll in a correspondence course.

Nova Scotia Senior High School students:

Are you planning on receiving credit for a CSP course towards your NS high school graduation diploma? Take a CSP course if:

  • the course is not offered in your school.
  • there are timetable conflicts.
  • you want to study a subject during the summer months, but the course is not offered then.
  • the school recommends for some other reason that you take the course by correspondence.
  • you are a junior or senior high school student who previously attended school in Nova Scotia but are temporarily living out of the province or country (students living away from Canada should provide the name and address of a contact person in Nova Scotia).
  • Approval from the school is required as CSP does not offer graduation certificates.

Adult learners

You are considered an adult student if you:

  • are 19 years of age or older and;
  • have been out of public school for one full year or more and;
  • do not already have a high school graduation diploma recognized by the NS Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

Are you planning on receiving credit for a CSP course to upgrade or for personal interest? Take a CSP course if:

  • you are an adult who normally lives in Nova Scotia, but you have been living out of the province or country for less than three years (applicants should provide the name and address of a contact person in Nova Scotia).
  • you are a non-resident of Nova Scotia interested in taking a secondary school level course for personal interest or credit.

The Department of Education has designed the Nova Scotia High School Diploma for Adults to respond to the needs of adult students requiring a graduation credential.

How many courses can I enrol in and study at one time?

You can enrol in as many courses as you’d like but we recommend that you start with one or two to get a sense of how much time and effort is required to complete the courses successfully.

How long does it take to complete a Correspondence Study course?

This depends entirely on you.

  • If you have good time management, work consistently, and submit assignments regularly, as outlined in the course guide, most students complete a course within 6 months to a year.
  • If you do not submit any assignments in a one-year period, you will no longer be an active student.
  • If you want to continue with your course after this one-year inactive period has passed, you will need to re-enroll and pay the registration fees again.

What courses should I enrol in?

If you are considering attending a university, college or other post-secondary institution

  • you should choose your high school subjects to meet the admission requirements for that particular institution.
  • Check with the institution that you are interested in attending before you plan your program.

If you plan on using CSP courses towards a high school graduation diploma,

  • you must have approval from your school, regional education officer, or from home schooling, before you can enrol in a correspondence course.
  • Plan your courses to meet the NS High School Graduation credits required.

Is Home Schooling different from Correspondence Study?


  • Parents who choose to home school their children are responsible for designing an acceptable education program for them.
  • Sometimes this includes the use of CSP courses, therefore students who are home schooled require the approval of the Home Schooling division before enrolling in CSP as part of the approved educational program.
  • More information about Home Schooling and what is required of parents who choose to home school their children can be found on the Home Schooling website.

Is a Correspondence Study course accepted as credit for the purpose of graduating with a Nova Scotia high school graduation diploma?

Diplomas are not issued by the Correspondence Study Program office.

  • Diplomas are awarded by schools and regions or board (CSAP).
  • Not all credits required for a Nova Scotia high school graduation diploma are available through correspondence study.
  • With approval from the school, CSP courses are recognized for credit towards a Nova Scotia high school diploma.
  • Upon successful completion of the course, a copy of the student transcript is issued directly to the school.
  • Students transferring to Nova Scotia from another jurisdiction (province or state) must meet the Nova Scotia high school graduation requirements.

How do I know what credits I need to earn a Nova Scotia high school graduation diploma?

A Nova Scotia High School Graduation Diploma is awarded to students who have successfully completed the required subjects and electives as described below: 

  • Students seeking to earn a Nova Scotia High School Graduation Diploma will require a minimum of 18 credits to graduate.
  • No more than seven of the 18 credits may be for grade 10 courses, and at least five must be for grade 12 courses.
  • Credits Required for a Nova Scotia Graduation Diploma

See the guidance office at the last high school you attended to have your transcript evaluated.

What should I do if I do not receive a returned assignment when expected?

Students should expect feedback and grades within ten days of submitting a unit/lesson/assessment.

  • Please contact the Correspondence Study Program if there are concerns about timelines.
  • Markers take vacations, may be ill or for another reason may not always respond within the recommended period.

How much does it cost to enroll?

Registration fees and costs for textbooks vary from course to course and can be found on our website by grade level.

Students who cannot remain in school due to a circumstance, e.g., illness, distance, or other reason, may request a Regional Centre for Education/CSAP to consider paying the registration fee and may request a school to consider providing a course textbook.

  • If you think you may be eligible for school board assistance with fees or texts you should contact the school administration.
  • If a school or Regional Centre/CSAP agrees to assist with the costs associated with your enrolment in the Correspondence Study Program, they must complete the "Approval of Payment" section of the application.

Students meeting the eligibility requirements to study by correspondence may seek assistance from a community service agency, a regional school board, or other office.

Contact the Coordinator, Correspondence Study, telephone 902-424-2452, to review these options.

What is the Correspondence Study refund policy?

There is a no refund policy on all courses and textbooks.

You can, however, exchange a course by transferring the registration fee from one course to another. This exchange must be:

  • completed within 90 days of registering, and
  • completed before you send any assignments to your marker.

If the course you are exchanging is:

  • more expensive - you will need to pay the difference.
  • less expensive - you will incur a loss (there will be no refund for the difference).

Does the Nova Scotia Correspondence Study Program provide the textbooks?

Textbooks are available through our office but are not included in the cost of the course guide. They may be purchased separately through online payment site.

Why haven’t I received my course materials?

The usual reasons that enrolments are not processed immediately upon receipt by the Correspondence Study Program are:

  • Payment was not included with the application;
  • The amount of payment was incorrect;
  • The enrolment or approval form did not have the required signature(s).