Accelerated Early Childhood Education Diploma Program
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (EECD) recognizes that a strong, qualified, and stable workforce in early learning and child care will ensure Nova Scotia's children are receiving high quality and inclusive experiences which will result in positive outcomes now and in the future.
Since Spring 2020, EECD has supported over 300 individuals working in regulated child care and Pre-primary to complete a Level 1 certificate program.
Building on this success, we want to now focus on those who hold a Level 1 Classification and support them in completing their diploma in early childhood education.
Together with the Nova Scotia College of Early Childhood Education (NSCECE), EECD is pleased to announce funding for individuals who meet the eligibility criteria to enroll in an Accelerated Early Childhood Education Diploma Program.
Through consultations with early childhood educators (ECEs), directors, and stakeholders, we heard of barriers deterring ECEs from going back to school – tuition costs, access to technology, and balancing time between personal and work responsibilities.
We have built this new accelerated program with their feedback in mind.
- Sixty individuals are already enrolled to start this September and we are working with NSCECE to create an additional 60 seats.
- Of these 120 spaces, up to 20 will be designated for newcomers to Canada (permanent residents).
- The Program provides full-tuition funding to currently working ECEs to upskill their education to an ECE diploma in a shortened time frame of 16-months.
- Classes will begin in September 2021.
- Courses will be delivered online and practicum experiences will happen in your current workplace.
Eligible applicants for the Accelerated ECE Diploma Program must:
- Have 2 years of work experience in a child care or Pre-primary program in Nova Scotia, equivalent to 1080 hours or more per year.
- Hold a Level 1 Classification issued by EECD.
- Be employed in Nova Scotia in a child care or Pre-primary program on date of application to the program, working a minimum of 15 hours per week, and have the ability to complete practicums at your place of work.
- Receive verification from your employer that supports your participation in the program, agrees to provide you a minimum of 15 hours of work per week for the duration of the program, and commits to supporting you in workplace practicum experiences.
If ALL statements above are true, you are eligible to apply to participate in this program.
Individuals participating in the Accelerated ECE Diploma Program must not be currently enrolled in any formal post-secondary course or program at the time of application.
Application to the Accelerated Program is a two-step process.
Incomplete, or partially complete applications will not be processed, and will require re-submission to be considered.
Please ensure you have obtained all the required information prior to beginning your application.
Before you begin, be prepared to provide the following:
- Personal data such as name, address, and contact information.
- Employment information including place of work, confirmation of working a minimum of 15 hrs/week, your employer or supervisor's full name and email address.
- Verification of your employer's support by confirming they will provide you with a minimum of 15 hours of work per week for the duration of the program (16-18 months) and support you in completing workplace practicum experiences.
- Confirmation that you have reviewed and understood all eligibility criteria.
- Consent to release personal information to EECD and NSCECE.
Step 1: Apply for eligibility to participate in the program through EECD.
Start your application only if you are eligible and have gathered all the required information.
- Select the "Start Application" below. This will open a new window where you will be required to enter your personal data and employment information, and confirm you meet the eligibility criteria and understand the requirements of the program.
- Enter all the information requested.
- Click "submit". This sends your initial application to EECD.
- EECD will review the application against the eligibility requirements for the program.
EECD will contact you if you are eligible to participate and will forward your contact information to NSCECE, who will contact you with the requirements to apply for admission.
This process does not mean that you are approved to participate in the Accelerated ECE Diploma Program.
- Sixty individuals are already enrolled in the Accelerated ECE Diploma Program at NSCECE and we are creating an additional 60 seats.
- Of these 120 seats, 20 are designated for newcomers (permanent residents). All other applicants who meet the eligibility criteria will be added to a waitlist.
- If a space becomes available, the next person on the waitlist will be contacted and invited to enroll at NSCECE.
- Those not meeting the eligibility criteria will also be notified by email.
Step 2: Apply for acceptance to the Accelerated Early Childhood Education Diploma program at NSCECE.
The Program Coordinator at NSCECE will contact individuals who have been confirmed eligible for the program by EECD.
- NSCECE will email you to invite you to apply to the accelerated ECE diploma program and will assist you in the application process.
- You must apply directly to NSCECE following their general admission process. NSCECE is responsible to set criteria for admission.
- NSCECE will notify you if you have been accepted to provide details about start dates, program content, the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process and other program related information.
- There is no cost to the applicant to apply to NSCECE. Tuition and required course materials, such as textbooks, are paid for by EECD.
Application Deadline for Eligibility to Participate
Applicants will be accepted on a first come first serve basis until enrollment is full or until September 1, 2021.
For questions on eligibility to participate in the program please contact:
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Email: email@example.com(link sends e-mail)
For questions on admissions to the Accelerated ECE Diploma Program contact:
Nova Scotia College of Early Childhood Education
Kathleen Biggs, Admissions & Recruitment
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail)
Phone: 902-423-7114 ext. 225
Book an appointment: https://bookme.name/NSCECE(link is external)